Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chiaroscuro

I am not Italian, but I love the Italian language. I am a romantic at heart - I became an English major because Shelley, Byron, Keats and Browning spoke.just.to.me. Really, I thought they did. I took Classical Studies as an elective and my professor introduced me to the concept of "Chiaroscuro" - the play of light and dark as it changed the perspective of Rueben's and the other masters works. Once again, I was sure this work was speaking only to me. So many times in my life something has resonated so deeply within me and lit my flame that I must explore it more deeply. I believe the beautiful chiaroscuro exists within each one of us - the light and the dark. I do not abide by any religious beliefs, yet feel that I am guided. Guidance comes in many forms and it too resonates within me when it needs to. I don't run from the dark in my life - illness, my own shortcomings, death, the behaviours of others. From the dark we learn our biggest life lessons. Embracing the dark allows us to know what we don't want to be like, how we don't want to be treated and how we don't want to act. Pain is darkness and softening to our pain and letting ourselves feel it lets some of the dark out. Sitting in feelings, no matter how dark gets us truly in touch with what we need to feel. Emotional pain won't kill us or tear us apart - it is really a portal through which we can see the possiblities in our life. Not stuffing our emotions down into the dark allows our light to shine. Balancing the light and dark takes time and patience - we all learn by doing. Elizabeth Barrett Browning asks "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..." and when we love ourselves we must love all of ourselves - the dark and the light, the chiaroscuro. Now that is Romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment