Tuesday, June 22, 2010

She's Turning 17

So tomorrow she is 17. She is Sarah, my second child, my second daughter. Last September she coerced me into going to see Kings of Leon in concert in our home town. My response initially, was "they are a bit harsh, Sarah." I'll think about it. "What's there to think about, Mum? You just need to listen to more of their music and I think you'll agree you need to go to the concert with me." I did just that - driving her to work we listened to "Sex on Fire" and I must say that I really enjoyed them. My husband dropped us off the night of the concert and we headed directly to the t-shirt stall and I bought her a t-shirt and we headed to our seats. We chatted through the opening band and I watched her become entranced as the Kings as Sarah calls them came onstage. The large screens projected Caleb Followill's image all over the arena and all Sarah could say was "Mum, look at him." Well, how could you not look at him? When "Sex on Fire" came on live, I was transported back in time to when I was sixteen and I was in the presence of Sting with the Police for the first time... didn't the opening strains of this Kings of Leon song sound eerily like "Message in a Bottle?" Didn't this bearded man move just as magically as Gordon Sumner did 27 years ago? Was Sarah feeling the same rush tonight as I did when I was sixteen? I certainly didn't dance as well as she was dancing this night.. this baby that saved my life now seventeen years ago when I was operated on twenty weeks into my pregnancy with her. When the pathology came back with very scary results, I remained attached to this little soul and we battled on together through all kinds of horrible tests, blood work and doctor's appointments. She came rushing into the world, curly haired, peaceful and so very present... her dad was right there, ready to catch her and love her and her older sister Emily, her best friend, her protector, welcomed her into her heart. This child, this force, continues to be the second of my three biggest life lessons- she pushes me on, she challenges me, she is sassy, fierce and fearless - and tomorrow she is 17 by her real age, but her heart has been around this way many times before. Happy Birthday, my Sarah, my warrior princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment